One of the most damaging reviews a hotel guest can leave on a travel review site is to say that their hotel rooms was dirty, and scant attention paid to laundry and bed linen changes.
But it happens, and I’ve actually read a few of those, as recent as this morning.
People will forgive a lot of things but dealing with a lack of cleanliness during their vacation is not one of them. So hotels have to ensure they have staff that keeps rooms sparkling clean and guests/rooms stocked with clean, fresh linen and laundry.
To do this, they hire housekeeping and laundry attendants.
Do you get excited at the swish and churn of washing machines and turning dirty into clean?
Do you have an appreciation for the feel and smell of laundry fresh towels and linen and how they can give joy to your guests?
Then a laundry attendant’s job could be right up your alley.
What does the job entail?
The Laundry Attendant working in a hotel setting is a self-motivated person who can work well with a team. Your main duties involve assisting with washing, drying, sorting, folding, transporting, and distribution of all linens and guest clothing. Other duties may be assigned.
The ability to operate industrial laundry equipment is required. So is the ability to be understood by guests and work associates. Being courteous to guests is also a given if you’re signing up for any job in the hospitality sector.
This position requires continuous standing and movement, frequent bending, lifting and pulling up to 75 pounds of linen and carrying up to 50 pounds of linen during a shift.
The schedule requires flexibility and you’re expected to be reliable, patient and work quickly and cohesively with your team or alone.
You’ll need to follow instructions and work with minimal supervision.
A Day in the Life of A Laundry Attendant
Here is a list of your daily duties and competencies required to successfully perform the job:
- Knowledge in hotel services especially in preparing and washing guests’and hotel’s laundry.
- Knowledge and skills in washing, ironing and folding clothes and other hotel sheets.
- Knowledge in operating big washing, drying and folding machines.
Daily, you are expected to apply diligence and care to
- Ensure that all linens and guests’ clothes are covered at all times during transportation.
- Treat Stains. Treat clothes and linens with stain remover and rubs with sponge or brush to remove spots or stains.
- Sort and load clothes and linens according to colour and material in correct machines, add specified cleaning agents and set automatic controls on machines to handle cleaning task.
- Remove clothes from equipment.
- Sort and fold or hand clean dried items.
- Use accepted techniques of folding linens and clothes for delivery to rooms.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance and use of infection control techniques.
- Use protective equipment when working with soiled linens and possess the ability to learn the procedures for processing isolation linens.
- Maintain inventory of all cleaning supplies and communicate needs to general manager
- Maintain all laundry equipment and inform facilities manager as to any maintenance needs.
- Perform additional laundry services when necessary.
Education and Training Requirements
No O’Levels are required for a laundromat attendant job. Read the job description provided by the company in its job post. Three overseas job sites I surveyed listed differing requirements:
- At least High School graduate with 2-5 years experience as a laundry attendant.
- Less than high school education; or up to one-month related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills. Be able to read and write and understand the English language. Have the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to “resident or resident’s families” and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills. None needed
- Reasoning Ability. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Prior job-related experience is preferred but not required. Attendants should be 18 years or older.
Other Qualifications – The Soft Skills
To perform the job successfully, the ideal candidate should demonstrate the following soft skills, traits and competencies:
- Attention to detail and quality
- Good judgement
- Problem Solving
- Customer Service
- Safety and Security
- Oral Communication skills
How Much Do Laundry Attendants Make?
According to Indeed.com, the average Laundry Attendant salary in the United States is approximately $US9.98 per hour.
In Jamaica, no salary report for a laundry attendant was immediately available at the time this post was published. However, according to salary survey of Jamaica reported by salaryexplorer.com, a waiter with similar qualifications in the hotel sector earns about $40,000 per month.
The National minimum wage in Jamaica currently stands at $6,200 per 40 hr work week.