by Mrs Karen Taylor Bennett
Try this Practice Test
It covers the topics in the unit: Undertake Interactive Workplace Communication and Carry Out Interactive Workplace Communication.
Review the following topics before you embark on this test, or if you wish, do the test first and then use your notes to check your wrong answers. You can print it out and file away for another attempt later.
The communication process
- What is communication? What is ‘effective’ communication?
- The Elements of the Communication process
- Stages of the Communication process
- Methods, forms and techniques of Communication – verbal, non-verbal, visual
- Selecting appropriate communication techniques
- Effective oral communication (Speaking and Listening techniques)
Instruction: Write True or False beside the following statements to indicate whether each statement is correct or incorrect.
1. Television news is an example of face-to-face communication. ____________________
2. Effective communication happens when both the sender and the receiver have the same understanding of the same message. ______________________
3. The phrase “making eye contact” means staring fixedly in the speaker’s eyes. _____________________
4. Nonverbal signals are open to a range of meanings. ______________________
5. When words and body language do not match, most people will accept the meaning of the words they hear. ________________________
6. A good speaker often relies /depends on his paralanguage skills. ________________________
MULTIPLE CHOICE ITEMS
7. Which of the following series of actions are active listening techniques?
A. Adopting positive body language, allowing the speaker to speak without interruption, and asking relevant questions
B. Selecting what you want to listen to, focusing on speaker’s errors, seeking clarification
C. Looking for the feelings or intent beyond the words, tuning out negative feelings
D. Taking down notes, recording the speaker’s words, memorizing what was said.
8. Which of the following channels of communication would be the most appropriate for contacting a client if you were working on the road?
A. Work schedule
B. Two way radio
SHORT ANSWER ITEMS
9. State TWO (2) nonverbal signals or behaviours that can tell you that someone is angry.
10. Name FIVE (5) parts of the body that enables us to speak.